Friday, June 7, 2013

Summer Work

I have just returned from the Canadian Theological Society's AGM in Victoria.  It is included as part of the Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences, which meant being at UVic for one of the largest academic conferences in Canada, surrounded by scholars working within a wide variety of fields, not just theology.  I had a chance to sit and chat (ok, sit and share a few drinks) with a group of Applied Linguists from UNB, and had a terrific conversation on the bus with an ethnographer from Ontario as well. 

What struck me most though was how very at-home I felt in the midst of this group, even despite my "shock and awe" at being at my first really acad3emic conference.  I kept introducing myself as the 'lowly Master's student' surrounded by PhD's and PhD candidates, but after the initial smirk, was very much encouraged for being there and participating in the discussions.  Too few Masters level students attend, and the experience of being a part of that, and a part of the dialogue is certainly valuable.  It is certainly a confidence booster to eb able to take part, ask questions and engage, and not feel as though I were completely over my head.  I also was able to really pin down my place in the larger field of theological/divinity schools, as firmly falling into theology (and prancing happily on the line of ethics.)  I have returned with new avenues of research such as space theory, and new contacts across Canada (and even one overseas). 

In short, it was very affirming.

My summer then has been one of relative ease, at least from my perspective.  Currently I am working two days a week in a yarn store, and picking up pulpit supply where I can.  I am also trying to work on research and learning that I have not been doing in class, improving my Greek, learning the basics of Philosophy of Religion, and working with ritual studies.  I am reading voraciously.  Admittedly, I also need the money so am looking for another part time job of a day or two a week (so, you know, if you know anyone....)  It is however proving to be utterly refreshing.

No comments:

Post a Comment